Thursday, November 22, 2007

One More Twist to the Story

There are many aspects of this case that have caused me to shake my head in complete disbelief. When I first heard the stories of what had taken place during the investigation phase and trials of these women I was amazed, and at times thought they were exaggerating the situation. Now that I have source documents supporting much of what I was told, I am finding that they in fact often understated the reality of the situation.

Here is the latest twist to the story. Karen Clos was the social worker from the Alamo Children's Advocacy center who initially interviewed, and helped the girls with their story to prepare them for their testimony in court. During the trials Ms. Clos was allowed to sit in plain view of the girls while they were on the witness stand. While everyone in the courtroom watched, the social worker made eye contact with the witnesses and would nod yes, or shake her head no when the defense attorney was questioning the girls. When the defense objected to this and asked that she be removed from the court the judge overruled the objection. The court seemed to think that coaching the girls through their testimony was an acceptable practice.

If that isn't a conflict of interest, I don't know what is.

No comments: