Saturday, April 4, 2009

Media Attention!!

After a year-and-a-half of banging the drum we finally got some media attention.

I would like to extend kudos to Michael Hall and Elaine Smith at Texas Monthly for taking the time to review the evidence in this case, recognizing a serious travesty of justice had occurred, and giving us some space on their webmagazine.

Michael investigated and wrote a feature piece for the April 2009 magazine on the controversial Mineola Swinger's Club case. On the TM webmagazine Gary Cartwright revisited the horrible case of Dan and Fran Keller who were convicted in an Austin satanic-abuse case in 1992, and remain in prison to this day. Also, Michael wrote a short summary/background piece entitled Hysteria, that linked to a short piece called Behind Bars he had asked me to write about my involvement in the case.

The media adage that "ink begets ink" must hold sway here, as less than week later the Austin Chronicle published a set of investigative articles by Jordan Smith, Michael King and Jena Birchum on the Keller case.

In the last few days I have been contacted by several Texas journalists who have expressed interest about investigating and writing about the Four Lives Lost case. Hopefully this is the leading edge of a groundswell of media interest in the few remaining cases of MPMV convictions, where innocent people continue to languish in prison.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is GREAT news. I found this story a few months ago and I am very happy to here this news. Keep up the hard work, they need it.

Anonymous said...

I read the article in the Express News. I then read all the material on the website. It certainly sounds like these women have been railroaded into prison. I certainly will appreciate any news on progress to get them out. This is an injustice to them and all involved should be ashamed especially the dirtbag who started it all.

Anonymous said...

When i first read about this case it truely touched me. To think that these 4 women could be falsely accused. I do feel this case on these 4 women should go back to trail. To think that the system feld is terrible. I do believe in protecting the children but if these 4 women are falsely accused we need to release these woman. I read about one of the girls that she recants. WOW!!!!! That says alot. She must have alot of guilt after all these years.

Ruth DeCluitt Kemmitz said...

I wish we knew how to go about any of this. My brother was accused of this same crime by a step daughter that hated him and told anyone and everyone how she would do anything to get him out of her home. She was 12 years old at the time and sexually active with the 17 year old boy from down the street, according to her brother. My sister gave up her home to my brother's lawyer and his lawyer didn't talk to anyone on my brother's list for him to talk to. He was brought up on 2 accounts relating to the same crime, but convicted on one. Her story changed from when she spoke to the original police officer to what she stated in court and my brother's attorney didn't do anything about it. When he tried to bring up the fact that she was sexually active to show that someone else could have made some marks on her, the prosecutor objected and the judge wouldn't allow it. We have been completely lost on how to get anyone to listen and don't know who to turn to for help. He has exhausted his appeals and has had his first review, but we don't expect him to be paroled because like Anna, he will not admit to a crime he wouldn't commit. We have lost our last 2 brothers and last sister since he has been in prison, in fact we have lost an average of one person from our family a year in the 13 years he has been in prison. I feel completely helpless, so yes, I do know exactly how these people's families feel, and my brother knows exactly how these four women feel!